Evocate Your Home and Reduce Your Energy Bill
Many homeowners are looking for ways of reducing their energy bills. Most find small things that they can do that will help them to save a few dollars here and there. If you are actively looking for ways to significantly lower your energy bills, here are a few things that you can try:
- Turn out lights whenever you leave a room. Your mum may have told you this when you were a child and it still rings true today. By simply turning out lights whenever you leave a room you can save your household up to £200 every year. You can also expand your savings by using light bulbs that are a bit more energy efficient. 12 watt bulbs that are energy efficient will give you the same amount of light as a 60 watt bulb that is standard. You can save 20 percent of the energy that you currently use just by switching your bulbs.
- Remember to unplug appliances when not in use. Computers, TVs, DVD players and other appliances continue to use energy even when they are turned off. By simply unplugging these devices you can save up to £20 per appliance per year.
- When boiling water, only boil what you need. By overfilling your kettle you are using more energy than necessary. It takes more energy to boil larger amounts of water. Most people boil twice as much water as they actually need and end up spending about £20 more than they should every year. By only boiling what you need you will also help to cut down on your water usage which can also save you money.
- You have likely heard about saving money by purchasing energy saving devices but do you know just how much you can save? By replacing your older appliances with those that are certified for energy savings, you can cut an additional £100 or more off your annual electricity bill.
- Finally, think about putting in a bit of work yourself as opposed to using labour saving devices in your home. Dishwashers, choppers and other devices use electricity that you could save if you just did these tasks yourself. You can save up to £10 per appliance per year in fact. Not only will you save money, you will be in better shape when you just apply a bit of elbow grease as opposed to instantly using labour saving appliances.
This article was written by Enerfina, an independent market intermediary in the renewable energy sector.